4 - Reporting on Line Item Properties and Note Attributes
In the interests of keeping things nice and tidy, Report Toaster takes some of the larger fields from Shopify and condenses them into a drill-down.
There are plenty of these attributes available in the app, but two of the best examples are the Line Item Properties and the Note Attributes. Both of these contain a wealth of useful data that you may wish to use in your reports.
Clicking this button will pull up the relevant details (yellow). This can be then be expanded further using the drill-down button at the end of each line (red).
You can then use the filter to look for certain keywords. For example, if my VIP customers were tracked via Notes, I could take the Orders report and add a filter where Note Attribute / Name contains 'VIP'.
Notice that now, only orders that have the applicable Note Attributes are shown. To learn more about adding filters, check out our tutorial video here.
Filtering and displaying the information in this way is very convenient, but sometimes you might want all the data broken down into separate columns for your reports. (e.g. suppose I wanted each ordered Line Item Variant displayed in a different column).
This we can do quite easily with just a couple of extra steps and Microsoft Excel:
- Open up Report Toaster and navigate to the report you need.
- On the upper right, change the date range (as applicable).
- On the upper right, click the Add Columns button. Choose the dropdown attribute and add the column for Line Item Properties and/or Note Attributes (depending on which one you need).
- On the upper right, go to Download, hit Save to My Reports, and give the Custom Report a name (this lets you come back to it at any time, so you can skip steps 2-3)
- On the right, go to Download and download the report as JSON.
- Go to Under step 1, click Choose File. Under Step 3, click Convert JSON to CSV, and then hit the Download Result button.
- Open your downloaded Excel file
You should then see the field broken down into individually separated columns. Feel free to delete any you don't find useful and you should be good to go.
If you need any help with following this process or creating other custom reports, reach out to us at any time!